Awhile back I saw Helen Rodel's realistic owl hat, that was crocheted. I looked at it long and hard, and wanted to make one using looms, but with my own flare.
Originally starting small on a 24 peg knifty knitter loom using just E-Wrap I worked on the general shape. I figured to make the hat it would need to be loomed flat, and the eyes and front of the face would have to be sewn together while still being one piece. This is where casting off, and casting back on those pegs worked to get the eye area started.
Then working in the eye area was a whole other story. In the photo I was looking at they were a circular area, so I messed with it and mess with it, and realized I would have to do an increase of pegs( Overlap) and then work some rows to do a decrease, work some rows, and do another decrease removing all the pegs. There was the eye area, but not after several tries on the flower loom just working the eye area.
Then the back of the head, how to create a curve to fit the head, well went on the concept of the heal for a sock, but larger for a hat. By the third draft I had a basic concept of everything, now was time to add some texture to where the feathers of the head.
I chose something a little simple like the netted idea, liked it fine, but just wasn't happy enough with the 4th draft. By that point I had switched to the long looms and worked with the clips.
Well several months later after putting the pattern down, on Google+ someone wanted to know how in the heck if at all you could do the crocheted crocodile stitch on the looms. I looked at it and said "Yes" with a lot of thought and a try I used the concept I did for the ears of my stuff animals with a little tweeking and figured it out. Then I said hey that would look great on my owl hat I have been working on.
I went to a larger long loom and decided to add the crocodile stitch I figured out, and change the beak area a little to be more accurate. At this point I was looking at real owl heads for the project, and decided a snow owl would be awesome. I noticed the face was furry so added fur yarn to the eye area, and there you have it. The process.
So knifty knitter green long loom, with clips, plus using stitches like, crocodile stitch for looms, internal decrease, wrap and turn, overlap increase, E-Wrap, purl, and sew it together. I am really excited about the finished product, it makes me so happy. This is a very hard pattern, but if you would like to see a video of it in tutorial please leave comment below.